Donuts aren't just for breakfast anymore! These are a little creation of mine that is full of soft, sugary donut goodness and pairs amazingly with a hot cup of coffee. These beauties taste just like donuts, but there's no frying involved! Make them today - you won't be disappointed!
(recipe adapted from Jamie at My Baking Addiction)
What You Need:
- 1/4 cup butter (softened but not melted)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg (you can use cinnamon instead if you want a little less spice)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 and 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups (or a little less) of your favorite cream cheese icing (store-bought or homemade)
- Powdered sugar for rolling
To Make Them:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease the sides and bottom of a 13x9 pan.
- Combine ingredients 1-12 in a large bowl and beat until well-mixed.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes (or until golden brown and set).
- After the batter has baked, remove it from the pan and crumble into a large mixing bowl. Let cool.
- Combine cake mixture with cream cheese icing and mix (with hands, preferably - it's just easier) until well-combined and smooth. Mixture will look like dough.
- Separate dough and roll into balls with hands (approx. 1 inch in diameter).
- Roll balls in powdered sugar until completely covered, and store in refrigerator.
Enjoy... and pace yourself!